1.5 oz margarine
1.5 oz lard
bunch of asparagus
2 large eggs
splash of milk
salt and pepper
- Make pastry.
- Trim and lightly steam asparagus.
- Line 4 tartlet tins with pastry. [TIP: remove surplus pastry by rolling a rolling pin across the top of tins. This technique seems to push some extra pastry into the walls, and stops shrinkage. If you trim with a knife the pastry shrinks and you are left with no void in the centre to fill with asparagussy goodness.]
- Bake blind for 10 mins, 180 C.
- Beat the eggs with a splash of milk, and season with salt and a good grind (that’s the sex bit) of black pepper. [QUESTION: are there any recommendations for asparagus-enhancing herbs or spices? It's such a delicate and original flavour that salt and pepper seem to be all that's needed, but any suggestions gratefully received.]
- Fill the tarts with as much asparagus as you have/can fit in. Carefully top up with the egg mixture and bake for a further 15-20 minutes.