This invention was prompted by – as usual with me – an allotment glut of cucumbers. I’m also testing out my new ‘Vitamix’ machine.
3 of your 10-a-day!
6″ section of cucumber
a small knob of ginger (about as big as the top joint of your thumb)
5 ice cubes
0.5 pint of water
a scrap of sugar
- Peel the cucumber and cut into chunks
- Quarter and core the apple. Leave unpeeled.
- Peel the lime with a knife, removing skin and pith. Cut into 3 or 4 slices across.
- Peel ginger. Cut into 2 or 3 bits.
- Add water, sugar (minimal, to taste. Remember the lime is very sharp and needs some balancing) and ice cubes and blend like mad. I run my Vitamix at high speed for 20 seconds or so. It’s one horsepower motor frightens the life out of me!
Pour into a glass. I find drinking smoothies through a straw really enhances the experience; I don’t like the raft of sludge you get stuck to your top lip if you drink straight from the glass!