0.5 cup flour
0.75 cup polenta
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
0.25 tsp salt
0.5 cup buttermilk (soy milk in my case!)
1 small egg
2 tbsp melted marge
- To make 6 muffins, so grease 6 holes on your muffin tin. (12 is just too may for only two of us!)
- Thoroughly mix all dry ingredients.
- Whisk egg, milk and melted marge together, and add to dry ingredients.
- Mix thoroughly and put into muffin tin (filling each hole to about two-thirds).
- Bake at 180°C for 15 minutes. Check if done by sliding a knife into the centre and seeing if it comes out clean.
This was my first time with cornbread. I served it with a bean soup, and the muffins were delicious but quite sweet. They would make a good accompaniment with a really spicy chilli, as a contrast to the heat. I’m also going to try them again with slightly less sugar (0.5 tbsp of brown sugar), some crispy bacon crumbled in and a pinch of thyme.